PulseAudio Equalizer


Finally got PulseAudio’s equalizer working. It consumes 1-4% of my 2.30GHz i5 CPU (Clementine’s built-in equalizer consumes 4-7%, btw), and sounds really good 🙂

In Gentoo, all you need to do to get this working is to install pulseaudio with equalizer USE-flag enabled (may need to unmask the unstable ebuild) and append this line to /etc/pulse/default.pa or ~/.pulse/default.pa (you can change the sink name to your liking) :

load-module module-equalizer-sink sink_name=equalized

After that, quit all applications that use pulseadio and restart pulseaudio:

pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio --start

Now you should be able to use the equalized sink name for your multimedia application. For example, in Clementine, go to Tools » Preferences » Playback and change the Output plugin to PulseAudio Sink and fill the Output device field with your equalized sink name (equalized in the above example).

While Clementine’s playing, adjust the equalizer levels by running qpaeq. All done! 😉



  1. maxim251 says:

    I must have strange computer. I have compiled alsa with pulseaudio. But properly is working pulse. With onty alsa program take over output and cant listening nothing else unitill I will close that program.
    I compiled also pulseaudio with equalizer, but i dont see it anywere. If I set module of equalizer, then pulseaudio get error. After i switch of module, everything come back to normal.